Thursday, June 04, 2020

My Story BEFORE The Story ~ Emily Strealer ~SPIES & SWEETHEARTS by Linda Shention Machett

Hello, everyone! My name is Emily Strealer, and I’m the youngest of three sisters. We were born and raised in the beautiful state of New Hampshire which borders Canada. As a result, I became interested in the French culture and language, eventually getting my degree in education with a minor in French. As a junior in college, I was blessed to be able to spend a semester in Paris, and I fell in love with the City of Lights. (Did you know the nickname came from the fact that this gorgeous city was one of the first metropoles to have electricity?)

My sisters Doris and Cora are a bit overbearing, and I spend much of my time while I was growing up trying to prove myself. Is that a problem for all youngest children? I wonder! After graduation, I started teaching in 1939, and things went well for a while. Then the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and our lives turned upside down. Many of my students enlisted as soon as they graduated the following June, and a few even secured permission to join up before they turned 18. Like everyone else in my small town, I did my bit for the war effort. I volunteered with the American Women’s Voluntary Service doing aircraft spotting and delivering messages. I also rolled bandages with my church group. I wanted to do more, but my family discouraged me from seeking other opportunities.

Then the craziest thing happened: I was accepted into a top secret government program called the Office of Strategic Services. Here’s how it happened:

I kept in touch with several of my college friends, some of whom are from what you might call the upper social strata. My family and I are poor, but we certainly don’t have the kind of money some of these folks do! Anyway, one of my friends contacted me and asked if I’d be interested in using my French skills for the war effort. Of course, I did! The interview and background check process seemed to take forever, but one day I came home from school to a telegram telling me to report in one week’s time. Because the organization was secretive, I didn’t find out where I was going until I arrived at a small, unassuming office in Maryland.

After weeks of training in everything from codes and ciphers to propaganda, communications, police methods, and disguise, I passed the course and two days later received my orders: I was to parachute into occupied France as a radio operator-a dangerous job with a life expectancy of six weeks. I was excited and terrified at the same time.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately) I was accompanied by one of my most difficult instructors, a rather handsome man named Gerard Lucas. It didn’t take us long to get embroiled in all sorts of trouble.

~ ~ ~ ~



My Story Title:   SPIES & SWEETHEARTS

My Story Genre:  Historical Romance

My Story Releases:    April 15, 2020

~ ~ ~ ~

The Author of My Story:    Linda Shenton Machett




Author Linda Shenton Machett writes about ordinary people who did extraordinary things in days gone by. A volunteer docent and archivist for the Wright Museum of WWII, Linda is also a trustee for her local public library. She is a native of Baltimore, Maryland and has lived in historic places all her life. She is now located in central New Hampshire where her favorite activities include exploring historic sites and immersing herself in the imaginary worlds created by other authors.

~ ~ ~ ~

Get Connected:

~ ~ ~ ~

WHERE can the book be purchased?

~ ~ ~ ~

The author will be honored to gift a winner a signed copy of
SPIES & SWEETHEARTS


Be sure to leave a comment with an email address where you can be reached should you win.
DRAWING TO BE HELD WEDNESDAY EVENING ~ June 10, 2020

5 comments:

Linda Matchett said...

Thanks for hosting me, Joy! A pleasure to have Emily share a bit about herself to your readers.

journeystojoy.net said...

I'm so glad you brought Emily to journeystojoy.net, Linda.

Praying us an enjoyable week with her and readers!

Gail Kittleson said...

Hi Linda and Joy,

This time of working behind enemy lines intrigues me so! I'm glad to see another book out about it, and would love to be the fortunate winner.

Linda Matchett said...

Thanks for stopping by Gail!

journeystojoy.net said...

Congratulations, GAIL KITTLESON - you are the winner of Linda's book!

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

I need your email address - please send it to me at joyjournaling@gmail.com

THANKS