Thursday, June 03, 2021

My Story BEFORE The Story~ Dixie Lynn ~ in ~ ON SUGAR Hill ~ by ~ Ane Mulligan

Thank you, Miss Joy, for having me on your blog. My name is ... well my stage name is Dixie Lynn. I’ve worked hard and finally made the best circuit in vaudeville. I’m a ventriloquist and voice thrower. Voice throwers are rare. I’m even rarer, being a woman. And I’m one of the best.

My childhood was lonely. My father, the senator, never liked me. I wasn’t beautiful like Mama. I was plain. He had no time for me and made sure Mama’s time was tied up in Atlanta’s high society. I later learned about their arranged marriage, which benefitted him.

Nobody knows for sure where my strange “talent” came from, but by the time I was four years old, I could make my dolls talk. By six, I could throw my voice across the room. That’s how I entertained myself and the servants. But the senator beat me because it embarrassed him.

I learned to stay far away from him. Mama did her best to protect me. She and Pearl, our cook, often hid my dolls and me, for that matter. What helped me the most was my friends. When I started school, I met Martha Anne, Glenice Jo, Trudie and Millie. Our mamas were friends, and they were delighted when we became best friends too. When the senator’s temper raged against me, Mama would make a telephone call and Millie’s or Martha Anne’s mama would come pick me up for an overnight.

The senator stayed away from home as often as he could. There were rumors about women, but Mama never mentioned them. I think her friends helped her through any embarrassment. Watching their marriage, I learned that men aren’t trustworthy. They only cared about themselves.

Mama told me stories about the plain garden faerie named Sugar Pie who lived in our yard. She told me, “When the Michaelmas Daisies bloomed, the Sugar Pie became beautiful, just as you will. You aren’t plain, Cora. You simply haven’t bloomed yet.” After she told me that story, she began to call me Sugar-pie, to reinforce her words.

Unfortunately, the senator’s harsh criticism soon obliterated Mama’s.

~ ~ ~ ~

Ane is offering winner's choice of signed Paperback or Ebook in 
drawing Wednesday, June 9, 2021

~ ~ ~ ~







My Story Title:   ON SUGAR Hill

My Story Genre:  Historical Romance

My Story Released:      June 1, 2021
                                NEWLY RELEASED


~ ~ ~ ~

The Author of My Story:   Ane Mulligan


     
Ane Mulligan has been a voracious reader ever since her mom instilled within her a love of reading at age three, escaping into worlds otherwise unknown. But when Ane saw PETER PAN on stage, she was struck with a fever from which she never recovered—stage fever. She submerged herself in drama through high school and college. One day, her two loves collided, and a bestselling, award-winning novelist emerged. She lives in Sugar Hill, GA, with her artist husband and a rascally Rottweiler.

~ ~ ~ ~

  Get Connected:

~ ~ ~ ~

WHERE can the book be purchased?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

9 comments:

MaryAnn Diorio, PhD, MFA said...

I am so glad to see Ane Mulligan featured today! Ane is an amazing woman, full of faith and determination. Her stories reflect both grit and grace. Congratulations, Ane, on your new release! Blessings to you as you write for King Jesus!

Gail Kittleson said...

Ane, I'm so glad for this release. You are a beacon I can see down in the SE, always encouraging.

Southern-fried Fiction said...

Thank you, Gail and MaryAnn. I love how God works, because both of you have always encouraged me!

Lynn said...

Am 5 chapters into the book and I love it so much! And, you did it again! Another new friend for me to love! And I do love Cora already!

Lynn said...

Am 5 chapters into the book and I love it so much! And, you did it again! Another new friend for me to love! And I do love Cora already!

Natalya Lakhno said...

This is so intriguing! I've never heard of ventriloquist or voice thrower...

Southern-fried Fiction said...

Lynn, thank you! I'm glad you love Cora. I do too! And Natalya, my grandfather was a ventriloquist and voice thrower. That's where I got Cora's talent.

Deb Mader said...

I just met you Sugar Pie and I want to hug you and protect you from the abuse around you.

journeystojoy.net said...

Our winner for this week and her choice of ebook or signed paperback copy - is



NATALYA LAKHNO!



Congtrat-you-lations, Natalya!