Thursday, March 14, 2019

This Is My Story BEFORE The Story ~ Glenora Carson

Hi there,
I’m Glenora Carson. That’s Glen and Nora...do you think my father wished for a boy? Well, whatever his expectations, I’m playing a son’s role right now, until my brother comes back from the war. My friends say I’m making a big sacrifice, but isn’t everybody? After all, this world war demands a lot from all quarters.

If Mama hadn’t died when I was in high school, maybe I’d see it differently...but she did die, and the housekeeping chores became mine. But I had a really good friend back then. It was when Joe perished on the Arizona at Pearl Harbor that I knew I’d do whatever was necessary for the war effort. And then a couple of months later, my little brother Red enlisted.

To make a long story short, all of this led to me being here in our father’s garage. Every day, I don my overalls and roll under farm vehicles to figure out what’s wrong and how to fix things.
Nothing glorious about it, that’s for sure. I also attempt to make order from the mess behind the counter...unpaid bills and a sketchy log Dad keeps of who owes him what. These are hard times, and it’s not often someone pays cash on the spot.

It’s not often, either, that a day goes by without some distraught farmer coming in to lance complaints—we’re too slow, the blasted part broke again—you get the idea.

So you can imagine my relief when a wounded soldier returned to recuperate with one of Dad’s farmer friends. Slim dropped a hint to Dad that his nephew Hank would soon be back, and had a definite mechanical bent.
Of course, I held my peace...but one day this giant of a man walked into the garage and seemed instantly at home diagnosing engine problems. This gave me lots more time to work on the books.

I’d love for you to meet my Aunt Henrietta—I don’t see her often, with gas rationing. But when she comes for Thanksgiving or Easter, I can almost count on a trip to Damon’s Department Store in Mason City. Aunt Henrietta, would you like to add your perspective?

Of course. I’d do almost anything for my niece, the daughter I never had. I don’t know if you believe me, but I like our little excursions as much as you do. It’s good to get out, and you’re too young to be stuck in this little town.

(Readers, let me say out of Glenora’s hearing that she’s the most faithful daughter and sister my brother and nephew could have. But there is such a thing as sacrificing too much, and Glenora comes mighty close. After all, a young woman ought to have her own dreams, too. And she did...but she gave up her scholarship to Iowa State when my nephew Red enlisted. I understand her decision, but it still bothers me to see her working so hard and never having any fun.

Besides that, did she mention that she sees her height and angular face as undesirable to a man? I’m so grateful Joe, her high school beau, was looking for quality and inner beauty, because Glenora’s got them in spades. But I’m afraid she thinks love can never come her way again.

And her father...well, I have my own opinions of my brother Roy. He’s such a hard worker, and it was awful to lose his wife. But there are other women in town who could keep his house.

Of course, I would never broach this subject with him, because right now he’s hurting so much for Red, whose ship was struck by a Pacific typhoon. What else can happen?

Wait, don’t answer that. At least, as far as we know, Red is still alive. But waiting for word about him is taking its toll on Roy...on everyone.)

~ ~ ~ ~



My Story Title:   Kiss Me Once Again

My Story Genre:  Historical Romance ~ WWII

My Story Released:   December 2018


~ ~ ~ ~


The Author of My Story:    Gail Kittleson

Gail writes from northern Iowa, where she and her husband enjoy their grandchildren and watching historical documentaries. Love for the World War II era hit Gail later in life, and she’s hopelessly addicted. Her historical fiction honors Greatest Generation women who made a difference despite great odds. Her second love, teaching, leads to facilitating writing workshops and retreats, where she loves cheering others on in their vocation.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Get Connected: 

~ ~ ~ ~

WHERE can the book be purchased?

~ ~ ~ ~


The author will be honored to gift a winner a signed copy of
KISS ME ONCE AGAIN
Be sure to leave a comment with an email address where you can be reached should you win.
DRAWING TO BE HELD WEDNESDAY EVENING ~ March 20 2019.

8 comments:

journeystojoy.net said...

Gail
Thank you for bringing your heroine, Glenora to journeystojoy.
I'm so glad you joined me in this project of having characters share their STORIES BEFORE THE STORIES.

Praying your experience here is rewarding!

Catherine Ulrich Brakefield said...

Sounds like a great book, Glenora, I already feel a heart-tug for your characters! God Bless!

Gail Kittleson said...

Thanks Joy and Catherine. Heart-tugs are GOOD!

Peggy Blann Phifer said...

Hi, Glenora, pleased to meet you. Thanks for sharing about yourself. Your story sounds like a great read. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :-)

HeidiDruKortman said...

I'm intrigued.

Jarm Del Boccio said...

WW2 is my favorite era, too, Gail. We can never have enough books on the topic! But yours is from a new angle. . .I like that!☺️

Gail Kittleson said...

Thanks, Peggy, Heidi, and Jarm.

I appreciate you stopping by and hope you'll enjoy delving deeper into my (Glenora's) world. She's really quite a gal - one of those make-do WWII women so worthy of our admiration.

journeystojoy.net said...

Gail;
You definitely got some stirring among readers with Glenora's guest appearance.

I will be drawing the winner's name shortly - drum rolllllll....

AND THE WINNER IS > Jarm Del Boccio!

I'll be contacting her - will see that you receive her mailing information ASAP!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS PROJECT!!! The week seemed to FLY!