Thursday, February 28, 2019

Our Stories BEFORE The Story ~ To Claim Her Heart

ELMER (ELSIE): Howdy, I'm Elmer Esther Smith. Most folks call me Elsie. There's often a lot of confusion over my name. I have a mix of both my pa and ma's names. You see I was the last in a string of five girls. I reckon Pa figured I was his only chance of having a son since Ma died givin' birth to me. Pa gave me his name, even though I'm a girl. Anyway, I don't know how I ended up as a main character in a book, especially since most folks ignore me on account of me not being like other gals. I wear my pa's old clothes and can't abide wearin' a dress.

BENJAMIN: Hello, I'm Benjamin David. I hear a lot of jokes about my name. I know it's unusual since David is typically a first name. I actually heard from the author that her husband was named for a great grandpa David. I think the author's husband also had a family member named Benjamin who made the Cherokee Strip Land Run. Apparently there's a lot of history with this family when it comes to the Cherokee Outlet. I think that's interesting.

ELSIE: I grew up in Kansas, farming with my pa. We had a good life for many years, despite my Aunt Kate always buttin' her nose in our business and trying to make me into a 'respectable young lady'. She's been a burr in my hide all of my life so headin' to Oklahoma Territory where she has no idea where I am sounds like pure bliss. I reckon I'll never see her again, and I'm happy about that.

BENJAMIN: I'm a preacher like my father. I heard the call to tell others about the Lord when I was just a young boy. Most thought I would follow in my father's footsteps and take over for him, but after I experienced a great loss in my life, I knew I needed a fresh start. I also had to fulfill something I promised to someone special.

ELSIE: Gettin' a claim in the land run is the only answer to my problems. The last thing I'm looking for is a man to solve all of my struggles. God's abandoned me before so I'll do whatever it takes to protect my heart from gettin' stung again. I don't need a man to come to my rescue or stake a claim on my heart. I can do things all on my own—just wait and see.

BENJAMIN: I'm open for God to use me however He feels is best as I seek a claim in the Cherokee Strip Land Run. I know He has something special in store for me. I just have to trust Him to lead and guide me as I move forward. I desire to touch others as I make a fresh start. I'm sure that God will use me as I reach out to my new neighbors and seek to follow and use the gifts God has given me. The only thing I'm not looking for is to marry. Some are called to be single and after my loss… well, let's just say that I have no desire to claim someone's heart. But to hear more about my run-in with Elsie, you'll have to check out what the author wrote about us. Here's a little more about it:

In 1893, on the eve of the great race for land, Benjamin David prays for God to guide him to his 'Promised Land. Finding property and preaching to the lost are his only ways of honoring his deceased fiancée. He hasn't counted on Elmer (Elsie) Smith claiming the same plot and refusing to leave. Not only is she a burr in his side, but she is full of the homesteading know-how he is sadly lacking.

Obtaining a claim in the Cherokee Strip Land Run is Elsie Smith's only hope for survival, and not just any plot, she has a specific one in mind. The land's not only a way to honor her pa and his life, but also to provide a livelihood for herself. She's willing to put in whatever it takes to get that piece of property, and Elsie's determined to keep it.

Her bitterness is what protects her, and she has no intentions of allowing that preacher to lay claim to her land . . . or her heart.


________________________________________________________________________________


My Story Title:   To Claim Her Heart

My Story Genre:  Historical Romance

My Story Releases:   May 14, 2018

~ ~ ~ ~


The Author of My Story:   Jodie Wolfe


 Jodie Wolfe creates novels where hope and quirky meet. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA) and has been a semi-finalist and finalist in various writing contests. A former columnist for Home School Enrichment magazine, her articles can be found online at: Crosswalk, Christian Devotions, and Heirloom Audio. She's a contributor and co-founder of Stitches Thru Time blog. When not writing she enjoys spending time with her husband in Pennsylvania, reading, walking, and being a Grammie. Learn more at www.jodiewolfe.com.

~ ~ ~ ~

Get Connected:

~ ~ ~ ~

WHERE can the book be purchased?



~ ~ ~ ~


Jodie will be honored to gift a winner a signed copy of
TO CLAIM HER HEART.
Be sure to leave a comment with an email address where you can be reached should you win.
DRAWING TO BE HELD WEDNESDAY EVENING ~ MARCH 6, 2019.

15 comments:

Jodie Wolfe said...

Thank you for having my characters here for the day. :)

journeystojoy.net said...

Jodie;
You're welcome - it's been such fun reading Elsie and Benjamin's post - they are such a contrast in personalities - can't wait for readers to see them in full through reading your novel!

Praying this is a tremendous week for you!

Lucy Reynolds said...

This was fun to read about the characters. Thank you for sharing. Blessings

journeystojoy.net said...

Lucy
Be sure to send us your email address - you MIGHT be the winner of Jodie's book, and we'll need to contact you!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Jodie Wolfe said...

Hi Lucy! I'm so glad you enjoyed learning more about my characters. :)

Peggy Blann Phifer said...

What a fun character interview, Jodie. Thanks for sharing. I love what Joy is doing with this!
Don't enter me in the drawing as these old eyes can no longer read print books. Sigh

Jodie Wolfe said...

So glad you enjoyed the interview, Peggy. :) Thanks for stopping by.

Catherine Ulrich Brakefield said...

Very interesting characters, Jodie it sounds to me you really enjoyed writing this novel! God Bless.

Jodie Wolfe said...

Hi Catherine. Part of the story is based on my husband's family, so it was fun to write. Thanks for leaving a comment.

Kimberly Russell said...

I think"Elmer" will put up a fight for that piece of land. Yay for strong women!

journeystojoy.net said...

Elmer/Elsie is definitely a strong personality!

You are SO right, Kim!

journeystojoy.net said...

JODIE _ WE HAVE A WINNER TONIGHT_

Catherine Brakefield's name has been chosen from the proverbial hat tonight - she has won a signed copy of TO CLAIM HER HEART

I will get her email address to you via FB Message!

journeystojoy.net said...

Jodie;
Thank you so much for allowing Elmer (Elsie) and Benjamin to visit here at journeystojoy.net.

I absolutely love the contrast in personalities and how well you've written them!

May God richly bless this story and those others you've written and are writing!

Cannot wait to read the next one!

Jodie Wolfe said...

You've got that right, Kimberly. :)

Jodie Wolfe said...

Congratulations, Catherine. I'll be in contact.

Joy, thanks again for having my characters here this past week. Praying the Lord blesses the new feature on your blog!